Thursday, November 26, 2009

apples and owls

i loved this fabric when it first came out thinking it was perfect for a fall quilt. imagine how excited i was when i opened my package and saw the owls and apples looking back at me. if given the option to do what i do (which nicole gave us) i like to piece improvisationally. it seems to suit my fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants style of sewing.

the first block i did was the improv block on the right. i fussy cut the 'a' and the apple and then did whatever seemed to fit with those 2 and the white piece. my plan worked out and i then embroidered from the 'a' to the white block. then, i added fabric around the edges to fit within the 12.5" paramaters.


i was at a loss for the other one until i remembered seeing amber from one shabby chick do this on a larger scale. not sure what you call this, but i'm going with "uneven stacks on white." i really like the look of that one, but it was a bit of work to get all of the strips to line up in such a random pattern without wasting too much fabric.

(pardon me if the pictures don't work. i'm going to publish first and then go back and fix if they aren't there. i use wordpress, so this is all brand new to me. HELP ME! how do i fix the pictures! problem solved, but i did not have fun doing it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment