(Reposted from my blog)I'm a bit behind in my non-Christmas posting, so this is a little catch-up. In my Tethered Threads quilting bee, Kathy had requested light, bright, scrappy, zakka-style blocks. It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do; I started making hexagons on Christmas night. But I'm happy with what I came up with.
This block came first. The hexes are pieced into the block because I didn't want to appliqué them. Of course, I probably could've appliquéd them more quickly; I think I spent 13 hours making these hexagons! Still, I like the way that this turned out. I actually added all of the green fabric on the right because nothing that Kathy sent had enough to piece on the side and make all of those half-hexagons.
For this block I wanted to mix the fabrics up a bit more, really let that red pop, and let that flower Heather Bailey fabric sing. Not sure if I fully achieved the zakka style, but I think these blocks are fairly close.